Features Hits of Iconic Rockers Def Leppard, Journey, Bon Jovi, Poison and Others Performed By Rock of Ages Cast Members Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Mary J Blige, Alec Baldwin, Tom Cruise, and More
Sony Music has announced the international release of the soundtrack album for the highly anticipated upcoming movie musical Rock of Ages on June 11, 2012. The ROCK OF AGES: ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK boasts 20 rousing anthems that defined a generation—reinvigorated for the film by a stellar cast including Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige, Alec Baldwin and Tom Cruise.
Directed by Adam Shankman (Hairspray), New Line Cinema’s Rock of Ages is the film adaptation of the smash hit, five-time Tony® nominated Broadway musical which tells the story of small town girl Sherrie and city boy Drew, who meet on the Sunset Strip while pursuing their Hollywood dreams. Executive Music Producer Adam Anders (Glee) helps tell the rock ‘n’ roll romance through cast versions of heart-pounding hits of Def Leppard, Poison, Journey, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Foreigner, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Whitesnake, and more.
“Taking classic, beloved rock anthems and seeing them through the unique perspective of the characters in the film was such an exciting prospect for me in directing Rock of Ages,” said filmmaker Adam Shankman. “We had a phenomenal cast who performed these songs in such a powerful way—adding depth and meaningful imagery to the film. I was lucky to have a partner in Adam Anders who, better than anyone working today, understands how to take popular songs and seamlessly repurpose them to tell a story with unparalleled originality and success.”
“It’s an enormous thrill to introduce the soundtrack of Rock of Ages to the world,” said Executive Music Producer Adam Anders. “While re-imagining these songs for the film, it was important for me to present them in a way that would not only tell the story, but transcend generations by making these songs relevant for today’s audience. This soundtrack truly captures the incredible performances of a very talented cast who brilliantly reinterpreted these songs with us in the spirit of the film. I am really proud of this soundtrack as it is definitely one of the highlights of my career.”
As the larger-than-life, arena-rocking champ “Stacee Jaxx,” the Rock of Ages Soundtrack features Tom Cruise belting out Bon Jovi’s classic “Wanted Dead or Alive,” Def Leppard’s hit “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” and Guns ‘N Roses anthem “Paradise City.” Cruise also duets with Malin Akerman on Foreigner’s power ballad, “I Want To Know What Love Is,” and shares the mic with Julianne Hough on The Scorpions’ “Rock You Like A Hurricane.”
The album also features an extraordinary medley of Night Ranger’s “Sister Christian,” David Lee Roth’s “Just Like Paradise,” and Poison’s “Nothin’ But A Good Time,” which features Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin.
Also echoing through the soundtrack are mash-ups of songs that ruled the airwaves in the `80s, including Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero” / Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock N Roll”; Extreme’s “More Than Words” / Warrant’s “Heaven”; Pat Benatar’s “Shadows Of The Night” / Quarterflash’s “Harden My Heart”; and Starship’s “We Built This City” woven into Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It,” all performed by the film’s cast.
The full track list for the album is as follows:
1. Paradise City – Guns N’ Roses – (Performed by Tom Cruise)
2. Sister Christian/Just Like Paradise/Nothin’ But A Good Time – Night Ranger & David Lee Roth & Poison – (Performed by Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin)
3. Juke Box Hero/I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll – Foreigner & Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – (Performed by Diego Boneta, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Julianne Hough)
4. Hit Me With Your Best Shot – Pat Benatar – (Performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones)
5. Waiting For A Girl Like You – Foreigner – (Performed by Diego Boneta & Julianne Hough)
6. More Than Words/Heaven – Extreme & Warrant – (Performed by Julianne Hough & Diego Boneta)
7. Wanted Dead Or Alive – Bon Jovi – (Performed by Tom Cruise & Julianne Hough)
8. I Want To Know What Love Is – Foreigner – (Performed by Tom Cruise & Malin Akerman)
9. I Wanna Rock – Twisted Sister – (Performed by Diego Boneta)
10. Pour Some Sugar On Me – Def Leppard – (Performed by Tom Cruise)
11. Harden My Heart – Quarterflash – (Performed by Julianne Hough & Mary J. Blige)
12. Shadows Of The Night/Harden My Heart – Pat Benatar & Quarterflash – (Performed by Mary J. Blige & Julianne Hough)
13. Here I Go Again – Whitesnake – (Performed by Diego Boneta, Paul Giamatti, Julianne Hough, Mary J. Blige and Tom Cruise)
14. Can’t Fight This Feeling – REO Speedwagon – (Performed by Russell Brand & Alec Baldwin)
15. Any Way You Want It – Journey – (Performed by Mary J. Blige, Constantine Maroulis and Julianne Hough)
16. Undercover Love – (New song composed for the film – performed by Diego Boneta)
17. Every Rose Has Its Thorn – Poison – (Performed by Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise and Mary J. Blige)
18. Rock You Like a Hurricane – Scorpions – (Performed by Julianne Hough & Tom Cruise)
19. We Built This City/We’re Not Gonna Take It – Starship & Twisted Sister – (Performed by Russell Brand & Catherine Zeta-Jones)
20. Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey – (Performed by Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Mary J. Blige)
New Line Cinema’s Rock of Ages comes to the big screen starting in June 2012, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The movie musical stars Julianne Hough (Burlesque), with actor/singer Diego Boneta in his feature film debut, Russell Brand (Arthur), Oscar® nominee Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man), Academy Award® winner Catherine Zeta-Jones (Chicago), Malin Akerman (The Proposal), and R&B queen Mary J. Blige, with Oscar® nominees Alec Baldwin (The Cooler, TV’s 30 Rock) and Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Magnolia, Jerry Maguire).
Shankman directed Rock of Ages from a screenplay by Justin Theroux and Chris D’Arienzo and Allan Loeb, based on D’Arienzo’s musical of the same name. Adam Anders and Peer Astrom composed the original score and produced the songs featured in the film. Rock of Ages is produced by Matthew Weaver, Scott Prisand, Carl Levin, Tobey Maguire, Garrett Grant and Jennifer Gibgot, with Toby Emmerich, Richard Brener, Michael Disco, Samuel J. Brown, Hillary Butorac Weaver, Janet Billig Rich, Shankman and D’Arienzo serving as executive producers.
To learn more about the film and soundtrack visit www.rockofagesmovie.com