Re-Machined: A Tribute to Deep Purple’s Machine Head out now through Eagle Records Via Shock
2012 is the 40th anniversary of the release of Deep Purple’s landmark album “Machine Head”. In recognition of Deep Purple’s influence, and that of the “Machine Head” album in particular, some of rock music’s biggest names have each contributed a version of their favorite track on the album to create “Re-Machined – A Tribute To Deep Purple’s Machine Head”.
The album features two wildly differing versions of Deep Purple’s most famous track “Smoke On The Water”, one from guitar hero Carlos Santana with vocals by Jacoby Shaddix, and one from alternative rockers Flaming Lips. Metallica have contributed their own special take on “When A Blind Man Cries”, a track recorded at the “Machine Head” sessions but originally released by Deep Purple as the B-side to “Never Before”. Also included are specially recorded tracks from former Deep Purple Mk III member Glenn Hughes with Chad Smith of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, plus offerings from Iron Maiden, Chickenfoot, Black Label Society, Jimmy Barnes & Joe Bonamassa and the “supergroup” Kings Of Chaos.
With Jon Lord, founder of Deep Purple, sadly passing away on July 17 this year, and the 40th anniversary of the classic album “Machine Head”, there has been a renewed interest in the band and their influence on rock music.
1) Smoke On The Water – Carlos Santana & Jacoby Shaddix
2) Highway Star – Chickenfoot
3) Maybe I’m A Leo – Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith
4) Pictures Of Home – Black Label Society
5) Never Before – Kings Of Chaos (Joe Elliott [Def Leppard], Steve Stevens [Billy Idol’s guitarist], Duff McKagan [Guns N Roses], Matt Sorum [Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver])
6) Smoke On The Water – Flaming Lips
7) Lazy – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8) Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
9) When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10) Highway Star – Glenn Hughes & Steve Vai (*bonus track)